Today in the 40 Day Devotional series, we read…
Week 2: Spiritual Renewal Begins with Me – Investing Through Sunday School
Ed Stetzer of LifeWay Research recently responded to research data by stating that spiritual maturity comes through “intentionality…in a disciple’s life.”
Investing regularly in Sunday School or a small group is an important piece of an intentional spiritual renewal plan for a disciple. Just as an ember pulled out of the fire goes out, so also is spiritual progress extinguished when a disciple separates from other believers.
But spiritual renewal and progress demands more from the Sunday School or small group experience than regular attendance. Consider the following ten actions you can take to raise the level of your investment through your group in your spiritual renewal and progress.
Support your spiritual growth and group by . . .
- Seeking God in Bible study in class and during your daily quiet time.
- Praying for and inviting guests to class/group sessions.
- Communicating regularly with group members.
- Fellowshipping with group members and guests.
- Helping group members in need.
- Reading and preparing for class/group sessions.
- Participating honestly and openly in class/group sessions.
- Living out the truth learned in class/group sessions.
- Serving in some way to strengthen the group and church.
- Supporting efforts to launch new leaders and start new groups.
Rate yourself from 1 to 10 (1 is weak and 10 is strong) in each of these ares. On which of these could you be more intentional to support your spiritual growth and your group? Ask God to help you and ask a group member to encourage you to take steps in the month ahead. If you are not currently in a group, take an intentional step of spiritual renewal and growth by joining a group this week.